Beautiful boys – cultural criticism
Destroyer and its adjoining projects represent over ten years of independent publishing in the area of art and politics. The publications are focused on LGBT history, freedom of expression, and beautiful boys.
This website is the home of the Destroyer blog (since 2008), and provides more information about each of the projects. The most important ones are presented briefly below.
Destroyer (2006 – 2010)
Destroyer – Journal of Apollonian Beauty and Dionysian Sexuality (ISSN 1801-8203) analyzed and criticized the current LGBT movement from within. The magazine contained academic essays, polemical articles, art pieces, reviews, interviews, and photo reportages with teenage boys. Not nude. Not porn. But shirtless and boyish.
Considering its small circulation, Destroyer received pretty impressive media coverage, both upon its launch in 2006 and its discontinuation in 2010:
- The Guide (US): Scandalized Scandinavians (2006)
- Aftonbladet (Sweden): Tonårspojkar är väldigt vackra (2006)
- National Public Radio (Sweden): P1-Morgon (2006)
- Svenska Dagbladet (Sweden): Bögarnas värste vän är tillbaka (2010)
- Aftonbladet (Sweden): En sorglig pojkdröm (2010)
- Expressen (Sweden): Gossedyrkan (2010)
- Out (US): Eternal Youth: Destroyer, the controversial zine that objectified teen idols (2012)
- Gay News (NL): The Short But Turbulent History Of Destroyer Magazine (2012)
Destroyer has also featured in academic works:
- Kerstinsdotter, Reb (Sweden): The Beautiful Boy, The Destroyer (thesis, 2008)
- Warburton, Timothy Ryan (USA): From AIDS to Assimilation: Representations of Male Homosexuality in Swedish Literature (PhD thesis, 2014)
Destroyer was debated on Swedish public service TV and radio on several occasions. The book about Destroyer was reviewed and discussed in the arts and culture sections of the biggest newspapers in Sweden, and was called “mandatory reading” by a Member of Parliament. The English translation featured in LGBT media worldwide, including Gay Times (UK) and Out (USA), as well as fashion and art magazines such as Bon.
Destroyer is a piece of modern LGBT history.
Breaking Boy News (2011 – 2014)
Breaking Boy News (ISBN 9789187773020) was an art project that combined real news with fake (unrelated) images of boys, in the form of a newspaper, a magazine, and a website.
The project explored the concept of “Entartete Kunst” (degenerate art), i.e. the art and expressions that were condemned and banned by the Nazis in 1930s’ Germany. What expressions today are condemned in the same way?
Breaking Boy News was written about by Vice Magazine in 2012 and exhibited by Isabella Bortolozzi Gallery in Berlin in 2015-2016.
The book about Breaking Boy News is available at all university libraries in Sweden, including the Royal National Library.
The Lover (2015 –)
The Lover (ISSN 2365-4007) is a modern journal of sexual politics, launched in October 2015. The magazine is focused on LGBT history and culture.
The Lover has been categorized by the German National Library as “sociology” and “anthropology”. It’s available at LGBT bookshops throughout Germany, and has been included in the archive of Schwules Museum in Berlin.