The last Destroyer!

Destroyer 10

Ladies, it’s time for some news! Good news and bad news if you will:

D10 doesn’t look like anything you’ve seen before – in Destroyer, that is. We’ve redesigned the whole magazine and even increased the font size, which has been a constant demand from you ever since the first issue. Well, see how complaisant we can be!

The biggest surprise is the page run though: We’ve gone up from 52 to 68 pages! The glossy paper is thicker than ever before and the logotype on the cover shines of a special treatment so that you will never forget it … D10 costs 2 euros more than the other Destroyers, but remember this is the double size compared to the premier issue.

As for the content, we’ve dug up a number of “childhood heroes” who we want our readers to (re)discover:

• The most spectacular item is probably a 10 page interview with Pierre Joubert, the French illustrator who created the aesthetics of Boy Scouting. It’s spectacular because monsieur Joubert died in 2002, but we were lucky to meet him before that. The interview in Destroyer has never been published before.
  • Will McBride is back! We visited the artist in his studio in Berlin. Together with him we picked out the best photos from his travels through Europe and Asia in the 60s and 70s. Some of these photos have never been published before.
  • And we’ve talked to Gisela Bleibtreu-Ehrenberg, the grande old dame of the German gay movement. Mrs Bleibtreu-Ehrenberg became famous through her book on homophobia, Tabu Homosexualität, but she also wrote extensively on homosexual behaviour and pederasty in Melanesian tribes.
  • The cover? What can I say but: You gotta have style. And: 10 more pages inside! 🙂

So what’s the bad news? Well, as you have probably figured out from the title of this post, or the words on the cover, this is the last issue of Destroyer. Yes, this is the end! To tell you the truth, it’s been my secret plan for quite a while now to end after 10 issues. There are many reasons to quit now, but the two most important are:

• The points have been made, tout simplement. Instead of trying to grow old with dignity, Destroyer chooses the way of an elegant seppuku and hopes that the 10 issues, so loved and so hated, will be enough to make it legendary.
  • The second reason is about myself. Destroyer is the first project that I’ve kept running for a whole four years. I’m extremely proud over that, but it’s time to move on now. In the future, my energy will seek other expressions. Which? I don’t know yet, and that feels wonderful.

So there you go! Feel free to comment …

I should add that the print run of D10 is limited to 1000 copies. Buy yours here!

And let the beat rock!

You may also like...

1. MatteoB says:

I am really sad to hear this. I came to Destroyer late in the day and loved the last issue with the Neapolitan boys. The writing is excellent and the photography brilliant. I am sad that you have chosen to take this decision but I respect it, It is a shame though as this leaves only Koinos as the magazine for lovers of the young male.

Good luck and I better get my order in! I hope back issues continue to be available.

2. CycyLolo says:

Great cover but sorry to hear that it is the end. We understand your point of view and will never forget your amazing mag! We wish you the best.

3. Michael says:

Congratulations on a great run, and elegant closure, and moving Destroyer into mythic status! I’ve appreciated you’re infrequent blog posts as well, and hope you continue to express your important point of view and share your aesthetic vision in new and provocative ways!

4. aljoshka says:

C’est la vie. There can’t be an end to something as wonderful as this. I’ve followed Destroyer with great pleasure and enthusiasm, and I’m confident that the Destroyer spirit will not disappear away with the magazine. We’ve still got Milkboys, for example, and a whole world of gorgeous boys to be fascinated by.

I’m very much looking forward to getting my hands on the new issue.

5. Boner Boy says:

Good riddance! After you put that link on your web site to that fascist ECPAT group, you can drop dead for all I care you two faced hypocrite.

6. Karl says:

Thanks everyone for your cheers! 🙂

Boner Boy: Don’t you care about the children? 😉

7. adjoun says:

will the DESTROYER blog stop too?

8. Stanislaus says:

Many thanks for all your efforts, the good work, fresh ideas and a joyful time.

Take care.

9. sorin says:

Karl, ich liebe the cover issue!

10. Jose says:

Its sad but some day it have to happen…its terrible that happen to early i just hope your other proyects come in good terms and as i do in some issues of Destroyer if you want you can always count with my help ;P

11. Karl says:

Oh, comments from three Destroyer contributors! (Adjoun, Sorin and Jose.)

Adjoun, yes, eventually both the blog and the Ilovemags shop will go as well (since it costs money), but there’s no hurry.

Sorin, I thought you’d like it. 😉

Jose, I’ll always count on you!

Sorin’s and Jose’s photography in D10 is amazing btw.

And thanks, Stanislaus!

12. kollio says:

This looks good, can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Sad to see Destroyer go… Though I know how hard it is to single-handedly keep a project running for years. Sometimes you just have to let go and start something new.

13. Liam P., 14, Paris says:

This really makes me want to cry. In May of 2008 I saw my first magazine laying under a lot of other mags in the barber shop where I live. I was 12 then. I only knew that I was different. I thought I was evil, sick, warped, a woofter of the worse kind, watching my mates in the boy’s showers wanting desperately to hold them.

Through your magazine and Milkboys.org, I learned that God made me different and not evil. I can’t tell you how much I wanked over your photographs. The stories were cool too.

It was seeing one of my Destroyers that Mum knew that she and I needed to talk. She held it in her hand as though she held my heart and soul. When I began to silently cry she gave it back to me and told me she had known I was gay for a long time. We told my Dad that night. I fell asleep on glossy page 12.

I want to say thank you. Thank you for helping me come out to myself and everyone else in the world. Thank you for giving me the information that I wasn’t alone and how to protect myself. Thank you for telling me that there are thousands of guys like me. I still sleep with copies under my mattress, even though Mom and Dad know I have them. This there place, just like your place is in my heart forever.

Liam P.
    Paris

14. Karl says:

Wow, Liam, what a story. I blush to have the honour of playing a part in it!

Yeah, Kollio, you’ll like it. 🙂

15. Karl says:

Fab, Sorin. But unfortunately there won’t be a next cover, this is the last issue!

16. Boner Boy says:

Karl, if you think that ECPAT is in business because they care for the children then you are even a bigger fool than I would have ever guessed.

I can’t believe that you are that ignorant of what they do and their history. Which leads me back to my original suspicion about your involvement with them and their draconian agenda which in some demonic way must benefit you.

Is that the price you had to pay to get the
    Swedish government off your back?
    It’s sad, but I know there were Jews who supported Hitler and blacks who support the KKK.

17. kollio says:

Boner Boy, did you ever hear about Godwins Law? You know, the one that states that the first one to mention Hitler in an online debate loses the argument?

See, nobody gives a crap that you got busted for banging an underaged asian boy on your vacation, so why don’t you just toss off and hyperventilate somewhere else. The internet is big enough, you don’t have to come here if you don’t like it.

18. aljoshka says:

Just a tip; if you want us to forgive you for leaving us naked in the rain like this, you should reprint D2. That would most likely win our hearts back (maybe not Boner Boy’s, though).

19. kafoe says:

Thank you so much, Karl, for having the guts! I know of people who would want to buy your magazine but don’t dare to. Here, in Sweden. This is why I always buy two copies. Every time (Yes, even D2 *whistling*).

If you ever feel like starting another project on this issue, please, please, pretty please make sure the word gets out. Best of luck.

20. Mark says:

No PDF this time?

21. Karl says:

The PDFs are usually released some months after the print magazine. I’m not sure if D10 will become available as a PDF though, since I’m gonna shut down the whole business eventually. Like always, I can never promise anything…

Aljoshka, I have bad news for you and lots of other fans: There will be no reprint of D2! Sorry about that, I planned a reprint once and might have given the impression there would be one to some of you. But now I can say with certainty that it won’t. However, if you solve the crossword (!) in D10, you can win a copy of D2! 🙂

Thanks kafoe, you’ll certainly hear about it somehow if I start anything similar in the future. Got your order btw. 🙂

22. Boner Boy says:

Karl, please send a complete set of Destroyer to ECPAT so they can protect the children. I’ll send you the money for it in Reichsmarks by mail.

Kollio, is there something in your past that makes you so touchy about German history that it must be suppressed at all costs? There is no name in modern history that rings so true as that of HITLER. His spirit is alive and well and all around us.

23. Philip says:

Damn – I hate to see it go, but, I would like to ask one favor. Karl, could you autograph my last issue? I have them all and your signature on the last would make my collection something special.

24. Karl says:

Sure, just write it in the comments section when checking out, or e-mail me at destroyermag at gmail.com if you already ordered.

🙂

25. Traveller says:

Two common advices for people travelling to North Korea are: 1) Never ever use irony. They simply do not get it. They take everything absolutely seriously and at face value. 2) Never ever crack jokes about the leaders, North Korea, the juche ideology and so forth. They simply cannot see any humour in such things, only blasphemy.

Seems to me that Boner Boy is afflicted with some similar restrictive mind-set. And in addition he seems to be paranoid. Maybe explainable from earlier experiences in life, I don’t know.

Anyway, thank you Karl for your marvellous artistic vision of the world as expressed in your magazine. You are a publishing hero!

26. Beautiful Dreamer says:

Yet Kollio freaked out when Cam Archer’s people told him to remove his review of “Wild Tigers I have Known” from Kollio’s now defunct blog.

What a fucking hissy fit Kollio had over that!

Kollio can’t understand that in the eyes of the world he’s just another pedo and any serious artist doesn’t want his craft infected with that association. It’s as simple as that.

The world knows a thinly disguised adventure like Destroyer when it sees one.

See? That is really funny. Ha-ha!

27. Jose says:

Its not a bad idea…Could you autograph mine too? and maybe a letter? i dont know something that express your journey to this experience and the dudes that writes here(the freaks, the creeps and they so called “normal”)

Anyway as an artist i really enjoy to colaborate with Destroyer and make my art the sense of freedom without hurting anybody…thats at least what i thought

See ya ;P

28. Josh says:

So sorry to hear this news. Best of luck with your future endeavors and thank you for the wonderful Destroyer!

29. Kees says:

Karl, thank you for a great endeavor. I noticed I only ever ordered the first 4 issues … I could have sworn I kept up longer than that. Not keeping up has nothing to do with the quality of your magazine; I very much enjoyed the issues I have. I simply lost track of Destroyer. Oh well, nothing for it but ordering the other issues in one go now :o)

Oh, will you be making the sleeves available again in the webshop?

Thanks again and best of luck with your new endeavors!

30. Karl says:

Kees, the sleeves are back! But there’s only a few of them left, so when they’re gone they’re gone! (The shops counts down automatically.)

Thanks Josh!

Jose, a letter?! Isn’t my e-mails enough? 😀 I’ll see what I can come up with… 😉

31. adjoun says:

@liam. DESTROYER just lying around in a barber shop? cool!

32. Owen says:

Ahhh! Typical of me to discover something so amazing just as it ends ;_;

Brought this last issue and I’m hoping you’ll still be around by the time I have enough money to buy a few more.

Cheers for creating a magazine that appears to have been an inspiration for many xx

33. JOSE says:

HEY! When the magazine is finally aout of the print dude???? im still waiting XD

34. Karl says:

It just did, Jose! Not sent out yet though, be patient!

35. david says:

Are there any copys still left for sale?

1. January 12, 2010

[…] (Self)Destroyer Posted by Josh~ in Magazines, Reading, tags: Germany, Sweden Ladies, it’s time for some news! Good news and bad news if you will: First of all, this is the brand new issue of Destroyer. The 10th issue! It’s so fresh the paint hasn’t dried yet. In fact, it hasn’t even been applied – as I write this the printing plant’s metal plates are still being engraved. Cyan, magenta, yellow and black plates are filled with the usual Destroyer ingredients: Photos, essays, reviews, interviews – and a couple of surprises! […] So what’s the bad news? Well, as you have probably figured out from the title of this post, or the words on the cover, this is the last issue of Destroyer. Yes, this is the end! To tell you the truth, it’s been my secret plan for quite a while now to end after 10 issues. – Read about the reasons & surprises here […]