The last Destroyer!
Ladies, it’s time for some news! Good news and bad news if you will:
First of all, this is the brand new issue of Destroyer. The 10th issue! It’s so fresh the paint hasn’t dried yet. In fact, it hasn’t even been applied – as I write this the printing plant’s metal plates are still being engraved. Cyan, magenta, yellow and black plates are filled with the usual Destroyer ingredients: Photos, essays, reviews, interviews – and a couple of surprises!
D10 doesn’t look like anything you’ve seen before – in Destroyer, that is. We’ve redesigned the whole magazine and even increased the font size, which has been a constant demand from you ever since the first issue. Well, see how complaisant we can be!
The biggest surprise is the page run though: We’ve gone up from 52 to 68 pages! The glossy paper is thicker than ever before and the logotype on the cover shines of a special treatment so that you will never forget it … D10 costs 2 euros more than the other Destroyers, but remember this is the double size compared to the premier issue.
As for the content, we’ve dug up a number of “childhood heroes” who we want our readers to (re)discover:
- The most spectacular item is probably a 10 page interview with Pierre Joubert, the French illustrator who created the aesthetics of Boy Scouting. It’s spectacular because monsieur Joubert died in 2002, but we were lucky to meet him before that. The interview in Destroyer has never been published before.
- Will McBride is back! We visited the artist in his studio in Berlin. Together with him we picked out the best photos from his travels through Europe and Asia in the 60s and 70s. Some of these photos have never been published before.
- And we’ve talked to Gisela Bleibtreu-Ehrenberg, the grande old dame of the German gay movement. Mrs Bleibtreu-Ehrenberg became famous through her book on homophobia, Tabu Homosexualität, but she also wrote extensively on homosexual behaviour and pederasty in Melanesian tribes.
- The cover? What can I say but: You gotta have style. And: 10 more pages inside! 🙂
So what’s the bad news? Well, as you have probably figured out from the title of this post, or the words on the cover, this is the last issue of Destroyer. Yes, this is the end! To tell you the truth, it’s been my secret plan for quite a while now to end after 10 issues. There are many reasons to quit now, but the two most important are:
- The points have been made, tout simplement. Instead of trying to grow old with dignity, Destroyer chooses the way of an elegant seppuku and hopes that the 10 issues, so loved and so hated, will be enough to make it legendary.
- The second reason is about myself. Destroyer is the first project that I’ve kept running for a whole four years. I’m extremely proud over that, but it’s time to move on now. In the future, my energy will seek other expressions. Which? I don’t know yet, and that feels wonderful.
So there you go! Feel free to comment …
I should add that the print run of D10 is limited to 1000 copies. Buy yours here!
And let the beat rock!