Destroyer 09!

d9cover

I’m immensily proud to announce Destroyer 09. Why? Because of Nicola, a Swedish amateur photographer who took loads and loads of photos of beautiful boys in Naples in the 1970s. Some of them were published in the gay magazines of the time, but most of them were simply buried in Nicola’s drawers. Until now. In a 22-page double feature, we publish the best of Nicola’s photos in colour and black and white, along with an interview with Nicola himself, where he talks about the uniqueness of Naples and how it all suddenly changed to the worse in the 80s. I cannot enough emphasize the following: You do not want to miss this! D9 is the hottest issue of Destroyer since D2, which featured the 10-page interview with Cosidetto and was sold out only weeks after the release. D2 was printed in 1000 copies, D9 will be printed in 2000 copies. However, be warned that they might go very fast.

As usual, you can purchase Destroyer here! D9 will ship mid-June 2009.

The whole content of Destroyer 09 reads:

• Nicola of Napoli – 22-page double feature with previously unpublished photos from Naples in the 70s + interview with the photographer.
  • Reviews of novels by Horatio Alger, Jr., Poppy Z Brite and William Beckford + two new photo books.
  • Art Bernard – interview with the artist.
  • Photo reportage: Young wrestlers and young boxers.
  • Chronik der Schwulen – interview with the author Dietmar Kreutzer.
  • Contributions by Italian artist duo Luigi & Luca, and by Daniel Björk, editor in chief of the Swedish magazine Rodeo.

Some teasers from the black and white section of Nicola’s photos:

Teenage boy in Naples, 1970s, photo by Nicola, published in Destroyer Magazine

Teenage boy in Naples, 1970s, photo by Nicola, published in Destroyer Magazine

Teenage boy in Naples, 1970s, photo by Nicola, published in Destroyer Magazine

Teenage boy in Naples, 1970s, photo by Nicola, published in Destroyer Magazine

Teenage boy in Naples, 1970s, photo by Nicola, published in Destroyer Magazine

Teenage boy in Naples, 1970s, photo by Nicola, published in Destroyer Magazine

With this I wish you all a great weekend!

You may also like...

1. Josh~ says:

Ha, after all these years (…) you still know how to amaze me <3

(And I’m glad the Luigi & Luca contribution work out! :D)

Love~

2. LB says:

Didn’t Nicola have a book of these photographs? I remember seeing a book with these types of photos of beach boys from Italy.

LB

3. Josh says:

I’m all over this one, don’t want to miss out like I did with D2, although I wasn’t even aware of Destroyer when D2 was issued…

4. Karl says:

How I love my two Joshes. 🙂

5. Karl says:

LB, I don’t think Nicola published a book, because in the interview he is pretty concrete about what he did publish (a few prints every now and then in gay magazines like the Swedish Revolt). But I know there are some books out there with photos from that era, Cosidetto’s books are certainly some of them.

6. LB says:

Thank you, Karl. I know I have seen some of the beautiful photographs somewhere. Hopefully Nicola will publish a book of his work in the near future.

LB

7. aljoshka says:

Magnificent! I’ll order a copy right away. But, just like for Josh, there’s a gaping hole in my collection, so I’m very much hoping for a repress of D2.

8. Jerimy says:

Thank you Karl.

I just recieved my first issue of Destroyer Magazine in the mail today. D9. I love it! I’m going to start reading it right away. I love the size and how thick the pages feel. I also love the photography. Can’t wait to order my next issue, which will probably be D1 before it becomes unavailable. I’m a big fan of Destroyer already. Thanks again.

Jerimy, one happy reader.

9. Karl says:

Happy to hear that, Jerimy! Thank you!

The pages are thicker than planned actually. I wanted them thinner (than in D8) in order for each magazine to weigh less than 100 gram = cheaper shipping. But the printing plant used the thick paper anyway, which I in retrospect think was a good thing.